Join us as we explore examples of marketing excellence...and error.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Green Bean Casserole Means Big Green for Campbells

My eating habits usually run to the natural. Normally, I am averse to almost anything that comes in a can as I prefer fresh vegetables and I usually stay away from fried foods. I feel better when I eat a balanced meal and as I get older, I realize more and more that natural grains, fruits and vegetables actually give me more energy.  Which makes the secret I am about to share very strange.

Those that know me well are already privy to the truth I am about to share. Every year they laugh at me and roll their eyes with disdain.  But I don't care....I can't help it.  I love green bean casserole.  There, the secret is out. But it doesn't just stop there. Not only do I eat it on Thanksgiving but I make sure to make enough so that I can have leftovers for breakfast  (yes, breakfast) for the next several days.  I know that's weird...but I'm OK with weird. 

This year, I decided to do a bit of digging into the history of the dish.  Like many great products, it turns out there is a great marketing story behind its success. Researchers at Campbell's Soup created the recipe to help housewives in the 1950's whip up a simple and somewhat nutritious meal with ingredients they would already have on hand.  Of course, they hoped it would also prompt additional sales of their mushroom soup.  Often giving customers new uses for a product can have amazing results.

In 1955, the Associated Press did a story on Thanksgiving and used the green bean casserole in the pictorial spread to balance the golds and oranges of the traditional foods. It caught on as a "simple to make" side dish that could also balance the colors of a holiday meal since little else on the table was green.  This use of publicity as a marketing strategy by Campbell's Soup was almost as genius as the recipe itself. 

This year, the marketing department at Campbell's Soup estimates that 30 million casseroles will be made and served this Thanksgiving. They also estimate that they sell well over $20 Million dollars worth of Mushroom soup to make it happen. 

Obviously, I'm not alone in my love for this Thanksgiving wonderfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment