Join us as we explore examples of marketing excellence...and error.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Old Spice + New Marketing = Swagger


Because of this picture that a friend posted on Facebook, I found myself investigating the Old Spice website to learn more about this "Awesomeness" they are trying to enhance. 

Like most of the planet, I am a fan of the recent branding changes at Old Spice. Taking an old, worn out, "grandpa" brand and making it modern, fresh, and fun is seriously hard to do. Enhancing Awesomeness?  Excellent. This new product name and packaging concept had me cracking up.

Another thing that had me cracking up?  This t-shirt I found on their website.  For the people I know that love t-shirts & love pop culture (who doesn't, right?!?) this is a no brainer holiday gift! 



Why does all of this work?  Because Old Spice did 3 things that worked.  First, they started talking to their true target market. ("Ladies, does your man look like me?") Secondly, they stopped taking themselves too seriously and they produced a commerical that was seriously funny. Third, Old Spice found the perfect guy to be the new "face" of Old Spice. Good looking?  Yes, but more importantly he is far, far, far from being a "grandpa" image in our minds.  This forces us to begin to think about the product in a new way. 

These 3 things combined created the perfect "branding" storm that has me thinking they just might be able to pull off a product name like "Swagger!"

No comments:

Post a Comment