Join us as we explore examples of marketing excellence...and error.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Shameless Self Promotion


The other day I posted on Twitter about an upcoming Facebook Marketing workshop I was offering to a group of 35 small business owners.  Not only did it go really well, but the local news showed up to cover the story.  If you want to see me in action, click here. 

While it's always fun to see yourself on TV, promoting myself and my availability to do marketing workshops anywhere in the country, is not what this post is about.  Instead, I want to discuss something peculiar I noticed in the news piece.  They never once mentioned the group putting on the workshop.  It was a local non-profit organization that really could have used the publicity, yet no name or contact information was given.  They certainly asked for it, I gave them everything I had thinking the non-profit group could get some much needed publicity.

In talking with the director of the non-profit after the interview aired, she mentioned that this kind of behavior seems to be a trend in the media lately.  It certainly made me begin to contemplate "why?"  Probably, like everything in business today, its about the money.  TV stations, just like newspapers and radio stations, are having a harder time selling ad space since there is a serious decline in customers watching, reading, or listening.  Someone got smart and started saying "no" to free promotion via the media. 

Looks like the good old days of shameless self promotion just may be over!  Except of course in the blogging world....did I mention I am available to do speaking engagements anywhere in the country :)

No comments:

Post a Comment